The Older I Get,The More I Travel, The Less I know

Everyone has heard the saying above, in various forms, but it was Chef Anthony Bourdain who coined that version, linking it to travel.  I have often felt the same way when traveling abroad, whether it be attempting to figure out a new countries abode, or understanding cultures and customs.  I was particularly fascinated with my first Muslim country experience.  Growing up in America, its difficult for me to imagine women actually wanting to cover their bodies, especially on those hot Moroccan days.  
In Spain and other Spanish speaking countries, the culture is so laid back, it is common for businessmen to gather in cafes to have a leisurely breakfast, and get to work... well... when they get there.  In America, all we do is rush around from A to B.  I thought about this topic on my last trip to Puerto Rico.  In PR, you commonly have to wait 5 HOURS to see a doctor, even if you have an appointment.  Shops are randomly closed, and even government offices sometimes stop seeing people at random times.  It is nice and relaxing to enjoy a long breakfast or lunch, but I was brought up to believe that if you have appointments, then you owe it to those people to show up on time, inshallah, of course! =)

You may think that you have a good understanding of the world around you, but you truly do not until you go out and experience it.  

~Maine Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment